How Can We Help You?
Regular garbage and recycling will continue to be collected on their normal collection days.
Please contact the Public Services Department at 630-789-7042 with any questions.
The recycling processing outlets are still open, so all recyclable materials are being processed. Should the processing outlets close, Republic has agree to pick-up recyclables materials, however, they would be processed as regular refuse.
Yard Waste Alternatives:
For large quantities of landscape waste that can't be managed at a residence, there are several landscape waste transfer stations in DuPage that will be or are currently open and accepting landscape waste. Each one will have its own procedures for accepting material from residents or 3rd parties, so residents will want to call for details.
AK Mulch & Firewood
631 E Wildwood Ave
Villa Park, Illinois 60181
Anderson Landscape Supply
787 S. Route 83
Elmhurst, IL 60126
DuPage Yard Waste/Midwest Compost
1195 W. Washington St.
West Chicago, IL 60185
Green Lawn Care Practices as Alternatives to Collection
For smaller quantities, we advise managing landscape waste with green lawn care practices or composting. Consider techniques for mowing and leaving grass clippings in-place. Below are some tips on green lawn care and we also suggest the University of IL Extension's resources on maintaining a natural lawn.
- Recycling grass clippings back to the lawn
- Clippings are a valuable source of nutrients and you can use less nitrogen fertilizer if you recycle clippings to the lawn.
- Adding organic matter from clippings may help improve your soil if it is sandy, heavy clay or low in organic matter.
- Regular mowing will greatly reduce the need to collect clippings. Avoid cutting more than 1/3 of the grass height at a time.
- Composting at home is another way to avoid the need for yard waste pickup. Please note improper and incomplete composting can lead to odor issues if the compost pile is not managed correctly. Below are some additional sites that have composting lawn care info. The Illinois Food Scrap Coalition (IFSC) has a great handout for starting composting at home. Here are some additional resources that help homeowners learn how to cut their grass to and help with setting up at-home composting.
For questions please contact Republic Services Allied Waste at (630)964-3232 or the Public Works Department at (630)789-7042.