How Can We Help You?
Although the Village of Hinsdale does not regulate Halloween Trick-or-Treating hours or rules, we advise anyone participating in holiday celebrations this year follow these reminders and guidelines to ensure the health and safety of our community:
- TRICK-OR-TREATING HOURS: The Village does not regulate Halloween Trick-or-Treating hours, but we do recommend trick-or-treating be done during daylight hours as a safety precaution.
- PARTICIPATING HOMES: If a home is planning to participate in trick-or-treating and hand out treats, then please turn on your front lights so that families know that it is OK to visit your home. If possible, consider putting a table outside and hand out treats from there - this will help let trick-or-treaters know that you’re participating. If your home is NOT participating, then please make sure your outdoor lights are off.
- ADDITIONAL SAFETY TIPS:
- Never go "Trick or Treating" alone. Always go with a trusted adult or a group of friends. Small children should never be allowed to trick-or-treat alone.
- Always walk on the sidewalks, not in the street. Cross the street only at corners.
- Look both ways before crossing the street to check for cars. Never approach a vehicle even it appears no one is inside.
- If possible, use face paint instead of a mask that may cover your eyes.
- For your safety, we recommend that children should go out during daylight hours only.
- If children are allowed out after dark, outfits should be made of light colored or reflective type clothing so they are more visible. Carry a flashlight to light your way.
- Children should only stop at familiar houses in their own neighborhood unless they are accompanied by an adult.
- Instruct your child never to go into the home of a stranger or get in their car.
- Keep costumed children away from pets. The pet may not recognize the child and become frightened.
- DO NOT ALLOW your children to eat any treats until they bring them home to be examined by you. Examine candy closely and discard unpackaged and opened candies. When in doubt, throw it out!
- Wash all fruits and cut them into small pieces before eating.
- If your children do go out without adult supervision, agree on specific times they must check-in and return home. Make sure they bring a cell phone.
- Teach your children to stay alert for any suspicious incidents and to report them to you (parents) and/or the police by calling 9-1-1.
- Do not participate in trick-or-treating if you or someone in your home have COVID-19 or are awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test. Sanitize hands frequently between houses.
The Village of Hinsdale wishes everyone a SAFE and FUN Halloween!