How Can We Help You?
244 East First Street - Private Residence
Elm Street view
The building is located at an intersection with one of the Village's few remaining brick paved streets in the historic Robbins Park subdivision was designated as an historic landmark by the Village Trustees on October 1, 2002. The two and one-half story wood frame was constructed in 1893 in the Victorian Renaissance Revival style. During the Great Depression, a portion of the front porch was removed and the coach house was relocated to the residential lot at 120 South Elm Street. The building is a rare Chicago example of work by the prestigious architectural firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, of Boston. This firm was known for their commercial and institutional buildings, including the Art Institute of Chicago and the Chicago Public Library.
The building is constructed with balloon framing and has the original wood windows with their original wooden shutters. Deep overhanging eaves with brackets and dentils are found on the building. The central portion of the original front porch still stands. There are large decorative brick chimneys. Asphalt siding was installed over the wood clapboard during the first half of the 20th century. There have been no additions and few alterations in more than fifty years.
The asphalt siding was removed in early 2003. First Street view.
1903. Photograph courtesy of Hinsdale Historical Society
c.1912 photograph courtesy Hinsdale Historical Society.
1966. Photograph courtesy of Hinsdale Historical Society.